Keep In Touch

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Speed Through the Airport

One of the worst travel snags ever created involves the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) in the United States.  Long lines, shoe removal, 3-1-1 rule, unpack your laptop, etc.  The good news is that there is an alternative, well sort of.  The TSA has a program called TSA Pre Check.


Pre Check allows passengers to basically go through the lines that pilots and plane crews go through without the hassle.  By completing the Pre Check process you can skip the long lines and inconveniences.  TSA says the cost to enroll is $85, but at the current configuration, add on a trip to Indianapolis.

Part one is the application and money, part two is the face to face interview and fingerprinting.  Seems a bit cumbersome so far, but the TSA, with an unlimited budget expects to open as many as 300 sites for travelers to enroll at.  Hmm  I see another problem brewing here.  30 Divided by 50 states is six locations in every state (average).  If a simple majority of travelers sign up for Pre Check, the long line moves to the current fast lane, and the short line for on-Pre Check fliers becomes the quick way through.

Currently you do have other options for speeding through the TSA checkpoint.  You can qualify by going through a similar process with U.S. Custom and Border Protection’s Global Entry program.  Then you can,easily application, be a Pre Check traveler.


Evidently you can qualify for Pre Check through many airline frequent flier programs.  I have grilled my airline and frequent flier program to no avail.  Now I don't travel weekly, but we do put quite a few miles on in the air.  You would think I would at least get a reasonable answer of either how to qualify or why I do not.  

My editorial on the whole process is as follows:  First, the last Caucasian to hijack a plane was D. B. Cooper.  Those of you who remember the story are probably too old and disinterested to want to disrupt your own flight.  Secondly, even though the FBI has my fingerprints, I am not sure giving Big Brother EXTRA information about myself is prudent.  Heaven forbid if I were a Tea Party Member trying to start a conservative political group.  Lastly, As most US Government programs are not self sustaining monetarily.  I would be willing to venture a guess that for every $85 collected the Government will spend $500 to process the application and produce an ID card.  All  this to protect us against people who can probably outsmart TSA when they want to.  We have had the shoe bomber, the underwear bomber, what's next, the armpit bomber?


For years my travel mantra was "If you can't carry it on (for a week vacation) you can't take it."  The ever changing rules are such that now I travel heavier, check aerosols, liquids, electronics (to some extent), and hope my luggage takes the same route I do.  I am sorry to make this posting into a travel gripe list, but it doesn't have to be this hard.

Travel Safe, Travel Often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment